Hiring a car and driver in India
Are you considering hiring a car and driver in India? It is a good choice if you want to get from A to B easily while avoiding the chaotic, busy and often confusing railway stations. We can advise you on the benefits of hiring a car, how much it will cost and where it is best to consider getting a driver to show you around.
We will organise a driver for you who is both friendly and reliablePlan your trip
The Benefits of hiring a car and driver
- While India does enjoy great train connectivity, getting train tickets and boarding trains on crowded Indian platforms can be chaotic and stressful. Renting a car and driver eases the worries of getting train tickets or negotiating crowded platforms
- Having a car and driver gives you immense flexibility, leave a city at the time you like and make as many unscheduled stops en-route as you want!
- If you have a chatty driver it will be a great cultural experience. Drivers usually come from a lower middle-class background, living on the road and learning English on the job. Speaking to them will open new doors to the country that you can’t get anywhere else
- It is very affordable. The comfort of a nice car and chauffeur, the convenience of leaving when you like plus local knowledge makes touring India with a car and driver a great value for money option, often adding a lot to your India experience
Trains can often be over-crowded and chaotic to navigate so getting a car is a less stressful option – Credit: Carlos ZambranoPlan your trip
A ballpark estimate of a rented car per day would be
- INR 3000 per day for a Sedan Car (can fit up to 3 adults comfortably)
- INR 4000 per day for a SUV segment car, Toyota Innova is the most popularly used car (can fit 4 adults + 1 child very comfortably)
- INR 5500 per day for a minivan (can fit up to 8 adults, has variants that can fit 10/12 adults too)
The prices include
- A good quality air-conditioned car
- Driver services through your trip
- All road tolls or taxes
- Stay and meal allowance for the driver
- It is highly recommended to tip your driver at the end of the tour. Here is a link on advice for tipping your driver.
- Car rental prices in Kerala are about 25% cheaper as the driving distance between towns is shorter than most other places in India
- Car prices can vary from company to company, the prices given here are an approximation
- The rates are considering you use the car to drive you from between destinations within a region (longer driving distances). Rates for car hire for internal sightseeing within a city would be cheaper
Driving around Kerala is a good decision as there is less public transport and the prices are cheaper because towns are within a closer proximity – Credit: Dennis KerzigPlan your trip
How does hiring a car and driver work in India?
Unfortunately, the process of hiring a car and driver is not very organised in India. There is no single leading reputed company that specializes in car hires. You can either hire a car and driver through a ‘transport agency’, which specializes in providing car and drivers, or individual drivers that own personal vehicles.
It is preferable to hire an independent driver that drives his own car. His incentive to provide you excellent service is higher as his business depends on recommendations from clients.
It is recommended to book your car and driver before you arrive in India. You would book a driver by typically e-mailing either a ‘transport agency’ or an independent driver.
Would the driver speak English?
It really depends on driver to driver. In more touristy regions like Rajasthan and Kerala it is easier to find an English speaking driver. We would always search for English speaking drivers also so that they can talk to you about their personal experiences and give you an insight into living in India. Plus it will help with any questions you might have.
Can the driver double up as a guide?
Unfortunately not. The drivers would rarely know enough about the towns from a historical perspective. Also, one must understand that the history of most Indian towns is very deep-rooted and it takes an expert to know all about it. However, they’ll most likely have their own tales surrounding places and monuments. If you meet a chatty driver you’re in for a treat!
Here is a blog giving you more information on guides in India.
Can India Someday help us with a car hire in India?
Yes! Depending on which regions in India you are visiting we can help you find a trusted driver and car hire. Contact us for more information.
Having a driver can give you a more cultural insight into India – Credit: Fabio Campo