Car Rental, Driver Service, and Guides in IndiaCreated by Harsh Sonawala,
Last Updated on September 29, 2023
Hiring a car and a driver in India?
Getting from A to B in India can be done in many ways depending on distance and infrastructure. Trains, buses, domestic flights, guided tours through cities and car rentals with a driver are all ways to travel. Here are some good reasons why a car rental in India with a driver and why guides might be something for you to explore further.
Our drivers are friendly and chatty people who will give you a cultural insight to the country they grew up in – (Photo Credits – Fabio Campo)
WHY SHOULD YOU USE CAR RENTAL WITH A DRIVER IN INDIA?
- While India has an amazingly connected railway system, getting train tickets and boarding trains on crowded Indian platforms can be a chaotic and stressful experience. Having a car with driver eases the hassle immensely.
- Having a car with a driver gives you immense flexibility. Leave a city at the time you like and make as many unscheduled stops en route as you want.
- If you have a chatty driver it will be a great cultural experience. Drivers usually come from a lower middle-class background and learn English while working with travellers. Speaking to them might lead to you to unexpected but incredible and unique experiences that you can’t find on the well-worn path.
- The cost of hiring a car and driver in India is relatively affordable, and you get the comfort of a nice car and chauffeur. The convenience of being entirely at your disposal paired with the local knowledge of the driver makes touring in India a worthwhile cost.
How much does a car rental with a driver cost?
A ballpark estimate of the daily rate for hiring a car with driver in India without taxes would be:
- INR 4,500 per day for a Sedan four-seater (up to 3 adults + driver comfortably)
- For a bigger six-seating MUV segment car, like a Toyota Innova, it’s INR 5,500 per day (fits comfortably 4 adults + 1 child + driver)
- Minivans will be INR 8,000 (up to 8 adults + driver, can also find variants for up to 10 or 12 adults)
The prices include:
- A good quality air-conditioned car
- Driver services throughout your trip
- All road tolls or taxes
- Stay and meal allowance for the driver
We highly recommended that you tip your driver at the end of the tour.
- Car rental prices can vary from company to company and region to region, the prices given here are an approximation.
- The rates are calculated considering you use the car to drive you from between destinations within a region (longer driving distances). Rates for car hire for internal sightseeing within a city would be cheaper.
- Here’s a good overview of cost of travelling in India.
Can India Someday help you with a car rental in India?
Of course! Depending on which regions you visit we can find you a trustworthy driver and car hire. Plan your trip with us by giving us more details of what you expect and we’ll find the best service for you.
Getting from A to B with a driver can be less chaotic than taking the trains (Photo Credits – Free-Photos)
HOW DOES HIRING A CAR WITH a DRIVER WORK IN INDIA?
You can book car rentals with a driver through a ‘transport agency,’ which specialise in providing cars and drivers. You can also book directly with individual drivers that own cars, which is definitely preferable. His incentive to provide you with excellent service is higher as his business depends on recommendations from clients. India Someday works mostly with small providers and independent drivers we know well and have used extensively.
Would the driver speak English?
It really depends on different factors and varies from driver to driver. In more touristy regions like Rajasthan and Kerala, it’s easier to find an English-speaking driver while in the Northeast or in the Himalayas in the North it might be more difficult. The English won’t ever be absolutely fluent and he might not be able to answer all questions but we know that the drivers we book always try their very best to be understandable and helpful in the best possible way.
Can the driver double up as a guide?
With a car rental, the question always turns to guides, but unfortunately, no they can’t. Guides go through a study program to receive a license to work in India. With the license, they not only accompany you inside all monuments but also give you a deep understanding and insight for the history and purpose of each place.
The drivers rarely know enough about the cities from a historical perspective. However, they’ll most likely have their own tales surrounding places and monuments. They often like to talk about their families and their own culture. If you meet a chatty driver it’s definitely an experience you won’t get anywhere else!
For those of you who still want to gain a deeper and stronger grasp on Indian culture and its history, a guided service might be the thing for you.
Do Indian car and driver services offer child car seats?
It might be surprising but car seats are not mandatory for children in India. In fact, while driving in India you will rarely notice children seated in car seats. Having said that, India Someday offers car seats in cars for guests travelling with children. We request you to inform us in advance and a child car seat would be arranged for your longer car rides. We cannot always promise the same for short rides i.e. Airport / Railway Station pick-up and drops.
We will recommend English speaking drivers that love to tell you about their personal experiences
SHOULD YOU HIRE THE SERVICES OF A GUIDE OR TAKE GUIDED TOURS?
There is no straightforward answer to this question. It really depends on the kind of traveller you are and if you’re travelling alone, as a couple, friends, family or in a group. Also, in some places there are plenty of guides while in other areas or places you might not find English speaking and licensed guides so easily. Some destinations have lots of interesting history to dig through (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, etc.) while other places are more of an experience in itself (Munnar, backwaters, Goa). So when you plan your trip with us let us know what kind of traveller you are and what interests you the most.
Who usually prefers guides?
- Groups, especially families with varied ages amongst the travellers. This will take the hassle for the main organizer of the group away. Also, the driver won’t get distracted while driving.
- Culturally interested travellers with an appeal for history, culture and full understanding. Often travellers with more life experience.
- Travellers with less experience of travelling in Asia and similar regions. A little help on a daily basis as well as somebody who can minimize the effects of a culture shock might a good i