Our Stay at Chandra Niwas Homestay Udaipur
We chose Chandra Niwas as our first homestay whilst in Udaipur and weren’t we glad! After a long train journey from Mumbai, a heartfelt welcome at a very warm home is just what we needed. We instantly hit it off with Samvit and our trip across Rajasthan began on a high note!
Dr. Samvit Audichya runs Chandra Niwas homestay (named after his mother Chandra and Niwas meaning abode). He is also a philanthropist and is the founder of Daan Foundation, an initiative that helps in the development and education of rural children. We visited the learning centre and interacted with the kids who were engrossed in playing Uno and carrom. Visiting the villages lets you into an entirely different Udaipur. If you would like to be involved and contribute to a social cause, you can either participate in the cultural exchange programme that Samvit organises or be a volunteer at the learning centre.Plan your trip
What we love about Chandra Niwas Homestay
*Read as ‘Absolute Highlights’
- His collection of antiques! I just couldn’t stop admiring them. Most of them are old wood works from old temples/forts modified into door panels, centre tables, jewellery boxes. Beautiful!
- There is nothing fancy or over the top. It is a simple homestay with a lot of heart.
- Samvit, himself! The ultimate chai-lover is the life of the place and such a great host.
- You get to meet and hang out with other travellers.
What we like about Chandra Niwas Homestay
Read as the ‘Nice things about this place’
- The rooms and bathrooms are very clean. All the basic requirements are available in each room.
- The lovely breakfast served in the common area and the fact that you can as many cups of chai as you please.
- The homestay is just a rickshaw ride away from the main attractions of Udaipur.
What we did not like
You may want to be aware of these points-
- I had absolutely no complaints and definitely looking forward to another visit. But do bear in mind to keep your sightseeing schedule in check because if not, then you will only end up having long chats over pyaaz ki kachori (onion kachori) and chai with Samvit!
- Being away from the city, you cannot sit on the rooftop and gaze at the glistening lake or the lit up city palace. But, then neither will you see so many other tourists
Chandra Niwas is Ideal for
- Single travellers
- A long stay in Udaipur
- Guests interested in visiting Samvit’s NGO and education centre
Rates for Chandra Niwas
- The room prices in season start from INR 1500 including Breakfast.
- To Book – Contact Person: Samvit Audichya
- Website: http://www.chandraniwas.com/
- Daan Foundation: http://www.daanfoundation.org/
- Reviews on trip advisor of Chandra Niwas: Click here
To plan a unique and economical trip across Rajasthan, contact us.
Click here to read a review of Mewar Haveli – A small hotel by the lake