Travelling by rented car with a driver in India
- While India does enjoy great train connectivity, getting train tickets and boarding trains on crowded Indian platforms can be chaotic and stressful. Renting a car and driver eases the worries of getting train tickets or negotiating crowded platforms
- Having a car and driver gives you immense flexibility, leave a city at the time you like and make as many unscheduled stops enroute as you want!
- If you have a chatty driver it will be a great cultural experience. Drivers usually come from a lower middle class background, living on the road and learning English on the job. Speaking to them will open new doors to the country that you can’t get anywhere else
- It is very affordable. The comfort of a nice car and chauffeur, the convenience of leaving when you like plus local knowledge makes touring India with a car and driver a great value for money option, often adding a lot to your India experience
A ballpark estimate of a rented car per day would be
- INR 3000 per day for a Sedan Car (can fit up to 3 adults comfortably)
- INR 4000 per day for a SUV segment car, Toyota Innova is the most popularly used car (can fit 4 adults + 1 child very comfortably)
- INR 5500 per day for a minivan (can fit upto 8 adults, has variants that can fit 10/12 adults too)
The prices include
- A good quality air conditioned car
- Driver services through your trip
- All road tolls or taxes
- Stay and meal allowance for the driver
- It is highly recommended to tip your driver (link ‘tip your driver’ – http://www.stage2.indiasomeday.com/tipping-in-india.aspx) at the end of the tour
- Car rental prices in Kerala are about 25% cheaper as the driving distance between towns is shorter than most other places in India
- Car prices can vary from company to company, the prices given here are an approximation
- The rates are considering you use the car to drive you from between destinations within a region (longer driving distances). Rates for car hire for internal sightseeing within a city would be cheaper
How does hiring a car and driver work in India?
Unfortunately, the process of hiring a car and driver is not very organized in India. There is no single leading reputed company that specializes in car hires. You can either hire a car and driver through a ‘transport agency’ – that specializes in providing car and drivers or individual drivers that own cars or an independent driver.
It is preferable to hire an independent driver that drives his own car. His incentive to provide you excellent service is higher as his business depends on recommendations from clients.
It is recommended to book your car and driver before you arrive in India. You would book a driver by typically e-mailing either a ‘transport agency’ or an independent driver.
Would the driver speak English?
It really depends driver to driver. In more touristy regions like Rajasthan and Kerala it is easier to find an English speaking driver.
Can the driver double up as a guide?
Unfortunately not. The drivers would rarely know enough about the towns from a historical perspective. Also, one must understand that the history of most Indian towns is very deep rooted and it takes an expert to know all about it. However, they’ll most likely have their own tales surrounding places and monuments. If you meet a chatty driver you’re in for a treat!
Can India Someday help us with a car hire in India?
Yes! Depending on which regions in India you are visiting we can help you find a trusted driver and car hire. Contact us, for more information.