Applying for a VISA to visit India
VISA Requirement for visiting India
A visitor to India needs to apply for a VISA if they are citizens of another country and are not eligible to apply for the status of Person of Indian Origin’ (PIO) or Overseas Citizenship of India’ (OCI).
Eligibility for a PIO card
a) Individuals who have had an Indian passport at any time.
b) Individuals who have at least one parent, grandparent or great grandparent born in India or permanently resident in India, with none being citizens of a foreign country.
Eligibility for OCI
Individuals who have at least one parent, grandparent or great grandparent who
a) Were eligible to become citizens of India on Jan 26, 1950.
b) Belonged to a territory that became a part of India after Jan 15, 1947.
c) Were citizens of India on or after Jan 26, 1950 .
Type of VISA for India
To visit India for a vacation, the type of VISA needed is a Tourist VISA.
VISA Application Overview
a) Applications should be made through the website of the online VISA application system.
b) After filling in and submitting the application form online, an interview needs to be scheduled at the relevant Visa Application Center (IVAC) or Indian Mission/Post. A copy of the filled-in application form needs to be signed and submitted on the scheduled date of interview along with all required supporting documents.
c) Details of supporting documents needed, instructions for filling the online form, scheduling the appointment and the status of submitted applications can be found on the website above. This information can also be obtained by contacting the relevant Indian Mission.
d) A minimum processing time of three working days is taken to process applications and issue VISAs. Tourist VISAs are typically granted for a period of 180 days and allow multiple entries into the country. No Documents are required at the time of submitting the application. Five-year tourist visas may be granted if the applicant is connected with tourism professionally.
Guidelines for filling out the online application form
a) The online application form is meant for individuals who are applying for a VISA from outside India.
b) A separate application has to be filled out for each individual applicant.
c) Once the online application form is submitted, further modifications are not allowed.
d) An option to save the online application form prior to submission is available, to allow verification and changes.
e) A file number will be automatically generated after form submission, and this is needed for all further communication regarding the application.
Guidelines for uploading digital photographs
The online application process requires uploading a digital photograph of the applicant. The photograph must meet the following specifications:
a) Format: JPEG
b) File size: Minimum 10 KB, Maximum 300 KB
c) Image size: Minimum 350 pixels (width) x 350 pixels (height), Maximum 1000 pixels (width) x 1000 pixels (height).
d) The photograph must present a front view of the full face with eyes open.
e) The head must be centered within the frame and the full head from top of the hair to bottom of the chin must be visible.
f) The head must measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm). The eye height must be between 1-1/8 inches from the bottom of the photograph.
g) The background must be plain and light colored (white or other colours allowed).
h) No shadows on the face or background, and no borders on the photograph.
Applicants can schedule appointments as per their suitability with the concerned Indian Mission.
Each applicant needs to schedule a separate appointment.
Sequence of steps for filling out the online application form:
- Accessing the online Visa application system.
- Filling out the application.
- Verifying the details and submitting the form.
- Recording the system-generated file number for all further communications with the relevant Indian Mission.
- Following successful submission, an automatic confirmation for making an appointment will be requested by the system. Select Yes’ to seek an appointment and make an online payment or No’ to just print the submitted application form.
- If the response is No’, then the applicant is required to print the submitted online application and visit the relevant Indian Mission along with supporting documents for further processing.
- If the response is “Yes”, a selection of appointment date and time at the relevant Indian Mission will have to be made online.
- Next, an e-Payment’ system allows making a payment online.
- If e-Payment is not available for the relevant Indian mission, the payment has to be made physically on the day of the scheduled appointment.
So apply for your Indian Visa immediately and enjoy your Indian holidays!