Hostels are a common phenomenon abroad and the trend is now slowly, and much to our delight, catching up in India too. Zostel is one such backpacker’s haven. We spent a night at the Zostel in Udaipur and were floored! The atmosphere was young and vibrant with most of the dorms occupied even though it had been just over a week since it opened.
We initially were booked in a mixed dorm but were upgraded to a lake facing room after I completely fell in love with it! A sparkling, pristine room with super comfortable bedding and a commanding view of the lake. It couldn’t get any better, but it did! Being Manchester United fans we were pining to see the Premier league match and Aviral, the property manager and a fellow fans obliged us and screened the match in the rooftop restaurant and amidst pints of beers and loud cheers, yummy spring rolls and a great game which we won! We had the perfect evening.
Another plus here is the terrace atop the restaurant which is the clear winner of the best view of Lake Pichola from a rooftop. It is such a serene experience.
What we love about Zostel
- The rooms and dorms were spic and span. Although it’s being run by young guys the place does not look like a bachelor’s pad!
- You can chill, relax and be in your own zone and at the same time find company when you feel like chit-chatting
- The view!
What we like about Zostel, Udaipur
- The staff is courteous and helpful.
- It is literally a stone’s throw away from the City Palace and Jagdish Mandir.
What we did not like
- They offer an All-you-can eat buffet breakfast for INR 100 however the choices we felt were limited as they have eggs but just boiled and there was only tea, no coffee or juice.
- The guy in the kitchen on the morning shift seemed a tad grouchy. We asked him for a cup of coffee but he did not seem eager to entertain us and as we were in a rush to leave we did not bother much; guess he just woke up on the wrong side of the bed 😉
Not all private rooms have the same lake view. Our room had complete clear glass panes covered with thick drapes; some rooms have a just a single window with a view.
Zostel, Udaipur is ideal for
- Single travelers
- Young couples
Rates and details for Zostel
- The dorms are priced at INR 549 per bed per night. The prices of the private room varies with the travel season. Starts from INR 1999.
- Contact Person: Aviral or Paawan Nanda
- Website: http://zostel.com/zostel/Udaipur/
- Trip Advisor reviews of Zostel Udaipur: Click here
To plan a thoughtful and economical trip across Rajasthan, contact us